Employers welcome release of reopening timeline
By Kevin Callan
Taoiseach Micheál Martin announced a reopening schedule for business and society on April 29th. The timeline sets out how different business sectors will reopen in May and June. The announcement has triggered a wave of relief in the business community as employers are now in a position to target specific dates as they prepare for a safe reopening.
The key reopening dates are set out below:
- Tuesday, May 4th: Construction and outdoor workers e.g., window cleaners, can return to work.
- Monday, May 10th: Intercounty travel allowed while hairdressers, beauticians, museums, libraries, and galleries can reopen. Outdoor and ‘Click and Collect’ retail also permitted. Outdoor training can resume with a maximum of 15 people.
- Monday, May 17th: Retail fully reopens.
- Wednesday, June 2nd: Subject to public health situation at the time, B&Bs, guesthouses, and hotels to reopen.
- Monday, June 7th: Subject to public health situation at the time, outdoor hospitality (including pubs) can reopen. Cinemas, gyms, leisure centres, and swimming pools can also reopen.
As mentioned above, some reopening dates are subject to the public health situation at the time. The timeline does nonetheless give business owners a clear timeframe for reopening and an opportunity to be prepared for a safe return of staff and customers.
Business supports available to employers
During the recovery process, financial supports remain available to help employers get their staff back to work. Guidance and supports for businesses will be provided at each stage to ensure safe reopening.
Businesses currently availing of COVID-19 Restrictions Support Scheme that can reopen as restrictions ease can avail of double restart week payments for two weeks subject to the statutory maximum of €5,000 per week. This payment is provided to support them in meeting the costs of reopening as they exit the scheme.
Need HR advice when reopening your business?
It’s great news that workplaces will soon be back open but it’s also important to reopen safely and in line with Government health advice.
If you’re facing tough HR decisions or staff queries around new workplace protocols, our advice lines are open to handle all your reopening queries.
For advice on any HR issue when reopening your business, speak to an expert now on 01 886 0350 or request a callback here.Back to the blog
- @GraphiteHRM15 Sep
Effective communication, dignity and respect are critical for running a successful business. In this workshop our H… t.co/1rRNOfZ66qView Summary
- @GraphiteHRM13 Sep
Employees phased return to the office starts in 7 days. Certain business challenges can slow your progress. How you… t.co/OU1JNzndnUView Summary
- @GraphiteHRM10 Sep
Having a disciplinary procedure in place is vital as it protects the rights of the employee while also ensuring you… t.co/aiFGK2rYJ1View Summary
- @GraphiteHRM08 Sep
RT @Health_Assured: 34% of adults have felt anxious because of their body image. In today's blog, we discuss the importance of embracing…View Summary
- Go to Twitter